I just got into this show on FXX called You’re the Worst and I love it. It’s a show that anyone in their 20’s or 30’s can relate to.
The story line is about 4 adults in there late 20’s to early 30’s that are trying to get their life together. Each character goes through different challenges and difficulties that most people go through.
Here are some life lessons that I learned from the show;
- Don’t rush into marriage. One of the characters Lindsay is so desperate to settle down and get married that she winds up with a man that doesn’t have the same interests as her. She’s a fun, outgoing, laid back party girl. He’s a smart, nerdy, soft spoken guy that loves nature and science. She settled for the first nice safe guy to marry and they wind up getting divorced.
- Don’t compare your life to others. The reason Lindsay was so desperate to get married was because she was comparing her life to her older sister. Lindsay’s older sister is married to a doctor and they are expecting a child together. Her older sister takes every chance she gets to rub her “perfect” life in Lindsay’s face. This puts pressure on Lindsay and that is the reason she settled and married a guy that wasn’t right for her.
- “Everyone’s fucked up, you just have to decide what kind of fucked up you’re into.” This quote is the best way to describe Jimmy and Gretchen’s relationship. They are two people that have a dark, twisted sense of humor, and don’t take life too seriously. They both drink a lot and can be very selfish when it comes to certain things. There relationship is dysfunctional in many ways but it works for them. Relationships aren’t always going to be perfect so just find someone that you want to get through the bad times with.
- Don’t rely on others. When Lindsay gets divorced she doesn’t know how to survive on her own. Her husband was the one that took care of everything. He paid the bills, cooked, cleaned, worked. Even if you are not good with numbers (like myself) learn the basics of paying bills and budgeting. Your partner might be better at it but in case something does happen you need to know how to take care of yourself.
- The grass is not always greener on the other side. In one episode Gretchen finds herself obsessing over a family that lives in her neighborhood. They are married with great jobs, a dog and a kid, it seems like they are happy and perfect. She later finds out that the husband is miserable and wishes he was living the care free life that Gretchen lives.
This show teaches you some great life lessons but will also have you laughing the whole time. I recommend this show to anyone that feels like they should have their life together by the time they are in there late 20s and early 30s.
Do you watch You’re the Worst? What do you like best about the show? Let me know in the comments.